Craigvara House was one of the fine houses built by Miss Rebecca Rice around 1860. Rebecca leased a piece of unused land known as Craigvara from Lord Antrim and proceeded to build grand holiday houses on it including Old Rock Ryan and Strandmore House (both now demolished), together with the great wall between the properties and the sea.
Rebecca also planned, financed and supervised the construction of the first promenade from the East Strand to the Salmon Fishery as a relief scheme for local fishermen during hard times. She also started a Sunday School and singing classes and brought a teacher, John Matthews, from Coleraine to be the teacher. In addition, she also helped to fund a school for boys and girls. Rebecca Rice died on 16th January 1874 and was much missed and lamented by all. She bequeathed the bulk of her estate to many local charities.