This fabulous red brick building was designed by Sir Charles Lanyon and was completed in 1872.

Inside there used to be an Assembly Room big enough for 500 people, a reading room, a kitchen, caretaker’s apartments as well as other meeting rooms.

In 1928 the building was made bigger to allow for theatrical performances and cinema showings.It continues to provide a valuable service to the community for theatre performances, exhibitions and meetings.