Captain Andrew Brown Cunningham

In June 1930 Admiral of the Fleet Andrew Browne Cunningham, 1st Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope, KT, GCB, OM, DSO & Two Bars visited Portush as Captain of HMS Rodney, one of the most powerful battleships in the world at that time. As part of a round of social events during this courtesy visit he was invited to officially open and name a new street in Portrush – Rodney Street. In the Second World War, as Commander-in-Chief, Mediterranean Fleet, Cunningham led British naval forces to victory in several critical Mediterranean naval battles. In 1943, Cunningham was promoted to First Sea Lord, the professional head of the Royal Navy, a position he held until his retirement in 1946.